Juicy watermelon and creamy mozzarella are paired with sweet, delicate grapefruit oil in this luscious summer salad. Prosciutto would be a welcome addition. - Rachel P. Note: Our Blood Orange olive oil or Roasted French Walnut oil can be used in place of the Grapefruit oil.
½ small ripe watermelon, cut into chunks
1 small bulb fennel
½ cup baby arugula
1 ball of buffalo mozzarella, torn in half
1 tbsp. grapefruit oil, plus more for serving (see note)
1 tbsp. lemon juice, plus more for serving
Salt, to taste
1. Place the watermelon chunks onto serving plates.
2. Cut the fennel bulb in half and shave off thin slices with a sharp knife – alternatively, you can use a mandolin.
3. Place the sliced fennel and the arugula in a medium bowl, along with 1 tbsp. of grapefruit oil, 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and a sprinkling of salt. Toss to coat.
4. Divide the dressed vegetables between the two serving plates, placing them atop the watermelon.
5. Tear the ball of mozzarella in half (they are usually quite small, but if using a large one, use less) and add one piece to each plate.
6. Drizzle the salads with more oil, lemon juice and salt before serving.