Make this popular restaurant snack at home! White truffle is more commonly used, and equally good. This can easily be scaled up to serve a crowd. - Rachel P.
1. In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the popcorn kernels with enough oil to lightly coat them. Put a lid on the saucepan and wait for the kernels to start popping.
2. In the meantime, melt the butter, add the truffle oil and set aside. Have a large, deep bowl at the ready.
3. Once the kernels have been popping vigorously for about 30 seconds, turn the heat to medium-low and wait for them to slow down. When there is at least 2 seconds between pops, take them off the heat and dump them into the bowl.
4. Drizzle the butter overtop, tossing as you go – if your bowl does not have a handle, it is best to do this alternately…drizzle a little on, shake the bowl heartily so that the popcorn from the bottom comes to the top, drizzle a little more, shake again, and so on – until the popcorn is well-coated. Scatter the salt overtop and toss for several seconds more.
5. Turn the popcorn into a serving bowl and scatter a bit more salt overtop, if desired.
Makes about 8 cups.