Sweet roasted bell peppers and tomatoes are layered and marinated with a simple oil and vinegar dressing to make this colourful salad. - Nancy
3 to 4 large peppers, preferably different colours
6 to 8 medium to large fully ripe tomatoes, preferably heirloom varieties
¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
½ red onion
2 tablespoons (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1. Roast peppers on hot barbeque grill or under oven broiler. When blackened in spots with loosened skins, cool on a plate. Peel and seed. Cut into long strips about ½ inch wide.
2. Slice tomatoes about ½ inch thick (discard ends). Lay on a large platter. Sprinkle tomatoes with sugar, pinches of coarse salt and grindings of black pepper.
3. Slice onions into very thin rings. Lay over tomatoes. Top with pepper strips.
4. Whisk oil with vinegar. Pour over tomatoes. Tuck in olives here and there. Sprinkle with parsley.
5. Cover and leave to marinate at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours before serving. Do not refrigerate as tomatoes will lose flavour and olive oil will thicken. Serve with bread to sop up juices.