Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake with Balsamic Cherry Sauce
This recipe yields a rich, fruity cake that's perfect for any time of year. Served with the sweet-tart balsamic cherry sauce, it makes a sophisticated ending to any meal. Great with Ruby Red Grapefruit, Blood Orange or Eureka Lemon olive oil. - Rachel W.
For the cake:
1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
2 tbsp. freshly grated grapefruit zest (from 1-2 large grapefruits)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Ruby Red Grapefruit olive oil or any citrus olive oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
2 tbsp. grapefruit juice
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. honey
1/3 cup grapefruit juice
Balsamic Cherry Sauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup Black Cherry balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup grapefruit juce
1/2 to a full bag of frozen black cherries (depending on chunky you want it)
For the cake:
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×5-inch loaf tin.
2. In a large bowl, rub the grapefruit zest into the sugars with your fingertips. This will help release as much grapefruit essence as possible. Whisk in the oil until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time and whisk until combined. Scrape down the bowl.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a second bowl. In a liquid measuring cup, combine 2 tbsp. grapefruit juice and buttermilk. Add the flour and the buttermilk mixtures, alternating between them, to the oil and sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
4. Spread the batter in the pan and rap the pan on the counter a few times to make sure there are no air bubbles. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
5. For the syrup, combine 2 tbsp. honey with 1/3 cup grapefruit juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Let the cake cool and pour the syrup over the cake to make it moist.
For the cherry sauce:
1. Add sugar, balsamic and juice to pan and bring to a simmer.
2. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, add the black cherries and let reduce for 10 minutes more. Let the sauce cool down and serve over the cake.