These unique brownies meld together spicy chipotle and dark chocolate. The flavour combination results in a delicious twist on your usual brownies. Spice lovers will relish this dessert! - Rachel P.INGREDIENTS
For the brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8 square pan or a 9-inch springform tin.
2. Melt the chocolate gently on the stove or in the microwave; add the olive oil and let cool briefly.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, ground chipotle and salt.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale in colour and slightly thickened. Fold in the vanilla extract and chocolate mixture, followed by the flour mixture, until just combined.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out mostly clean.
For the caramel:
1. Measure out the cream and balsamic vinegar separately and keep both next to the stove.
2. Heat the sugar over moderate heat in a heavy-bottomed, medium-sized saucepan. When it starts to melt, swirl the saucepan around to ensure that the sugar melts evenly. Keeping a close eye, let the sugar continue to cook.
3. When it’s done, it should smell rich and toasty and have a dark amber hue. As soon as it reaches this stage, slowly whisk in the cream and cook for one minute. Whisk in the balsamic vinegar and let cook for one minute more, then pour into a heat-proof bowl.
4. Serve slices of brownie with a puddle of caramel sauce, softly whipped cream and seasonal fruit.